Good Friday is an alternative pop/rock band from Portland, Oregon. They are inspired by a variety of musical influences, including The Beatles, U2, Fleetwood Mac, Tame Impala, Kendrick Lamar, and much more. With lyrics based around faith and love while dealing with doubt, depression, anxiety, and even suicidal thoughts, Good Friday aims to speak from experience to create personal connections with listeners. Good Friday formed in early 2015, playing around the Portland and Seattle areas with their original music. They have released two full albums: Blind in 2016, and the self-titled Good Friday in 2019. Now, Good Friday has been touring across North America since April 2019.
The band consists of Hayden McAllister (drums, trumpet, and background vocals), Eli Fissell (bass), and Dawson Kolstad (lead vocals, guitar, and piano). Patrick Procaccini recorded lead guitar on the first two albums, but left to start a family.
- Good Friday has played shows at a variety of places, from local clubs or bars (The Analog Theater and Cafe, The Garages, etc.) to events that push for change (The Lantern Walk), benefit dinners or celebration events, talent shows, famous Portland music stores (Music Millennium), weddings, churches, youth groups, and much more.
- Good Friday entered Dead Aunt Thelma's Recording Studio for the second set of recording sessions in May of 2016, and after as many takes, overdubs, and mixes their small budget would allow them, they formed their first album, in which they explored the themes of blindness, whether that meant being blind to experience, perspective, or love, being physically blind, or being blind to opportunities that lie ahead of you. Blind was released on November 18th, 2016.
- Their songs "So I Sing This Song", "Keep On", "The Train", "Walking On The Water", and "Dreams Put To Rest" off of Blind have been played namely on EGH Radio located in the UK.
- Music videos for "Keep On" and "Dreams Put To Rest" were released throughout 2018.
- Good Friday began writing their second album as far back as the summer of 2017.
- "A Life That I've Lost", off of Good Friday's second album, released as a single with a music video on November 9th, 2018. Good Friday then recorded the rest of their second album throughout the next couple months.
- In early January 2019, Good Friday began partnering with the non-profit, "A Jesus Mission", to be able to start touring.
- On April 7th, 2019, Good Friday started their first tour of the States, going through the west coast, cross country to Florida, and all throughout the midwest.
- On April 19th, 2019, they released "Painting the World" as the second single off of their second album.
- Good Friday released their second self-titled album on June 1st, 2019. The album tells the story of a character who combines experiences that Dawson and Eli had over the last couple years. A prominent theme is the search for identity that everyone has when coming into adulthood, and the anxieties and struggles that come along with that.